Description: In order to receive extra credit for your independent reading, you must...
- choose a book that Mr. Cuttler approves
- log the hours spent reading
- respond to analysis prompts and identify new vocabulary words as you find them
- compile a list of and use 15 new vocabulary words and reflect on the process
- complete ALL parts of this assessment
Complete and sign Independent Reading Logs: Most of you will require more than one reading log and that is expected and acceptable. All reading log entries must include the Date, Pages Read, Plot/Topic, Talkback, and Vocabulary Words and each completed log must be signed by you and dated.
Write a response of 3 full paragraphs (Typed). DO NOT just summarize the book’s plot!
Paragraph 1: Introduce the book and author briefly. Explain what you liked or disliked about the book.
Paragraph 2: Identify a motif that the author uses in your book and describe 3 places where the motif is addressed.
- What theme does the motif develop? Be sure to express this theme in a complete sentence. Your opinions about the motif and theme in your novel should be based on specific textual evidence and must include ANALYSIS of the evidence provided ( i.e. How does the text you’ve cited support your opinion about how the motif and theme in the novel?)
Paragraph 3: Cite and analyze an important quote from the book.
- Explain the context of the quote (Who says it? To whom? When?)
- Why is the quote significant to the book’s themes, characters, and/or conflict? What is the author trying to convey?
Identify a list of 15 vocabulary words from your reading. Complete the following 4 steps for EACH word:
- Cite the sentence from the book where the word is used and provide a page number.
- Use context clues to guess at the word’s meaning before you look up its definition.
- Write the definition of the word.
- Use the word correctly in an original sentence